Do you guide salt?
Have you ever fished salt?
Are you planning on fishing salt at some point in your life?
If you’re a fly fishing guide and you answered yes to any of these, then we want your story. And to sweeten the pot, your story could be worth $1,000. Yes…one thousand bucks.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
Conserving the resources that sustain our livelihood takes a community. We’re all indelibly connected by fish and the water in which we find them – both fresh and salt. At the end of the day, the health of both is up to us to protect. And guides are on the front-line of that effort.
For those of you who make your living on the salt, or who are drawn to it out of passion or jones (is there a difference, really?), or who have designs of eventually making the pilgrimage to whatever saltwater mecca haunts your dreams, tell us where that love or daydream comes from. Tell us about your fishery, ideal destination, favorite species. But most importantly, much like our freshwater ethos and efforts, tell us why healthy ocean fisheries and ocean conservation is important, especially in our home waters off our own coasts.
Authors of the top three (3) essays, as selected by our esteemed panel of judges, will each receive a $1,000 pre-paid Amex/Visa card, AFFTA membership (if you’re not already a member), and possible publication.*
• Contest runs from October 1, 2018 – November 30, 2018
• Winners will be announced by Wednesday, January 2, 2019
• Essays should not exceed 750 words in length
• Save and send your essay as a Word file, not a PDF
• Submissions will only be accepted via email to email@example.com
• Include “Essay contest submission” in the subject line, with your full name and title of your essay in the email body. Do not put your name in the Word document with your essay.
• Please do not send any images with your submission
• Contest is open to all guides regardless of affiliation with salt- or freshwater. AFFTA Board members are ineligible.
Brandon Shuler – Director, Outdoor Writer’s Association of America
Chris Hunt – Digital Media Director, Trout Unlimited
Jason Rolfe – editor, the Fly Fish Journal
Jen Ripple – editor, Dun Magazine
Tom Bie – editor, The Drake
Kirk Deeter – editor, Trout, F&S and Angling Trade
Feel free to drop an email to AFFTA Communications Director, Matt Smythe, at firstname.lastname@example.org
* AFFTA reserves the right to publish any of the essay submissions, in whole or in part. Publication is not guaranteed and will be at the discretion of AFFTA and any media partners.