To kick off our Member of the Month series, AFFTA’s insurance partner Art Hoffart, of Bissell Insurance right here inBozeman, answers a few questions. Read about Art’s insurance offerings for AFFTA members here.
Want to be the next featured member? Send Jess an email at email@example.com.
Art Hoffart, Bissell Insurance Agency
- Tell us about what you do.
- A large percentage of my business consists of insuring commercial accounts related to the fishing industry. Examples of those would be lodges, fly shops, manufactures along with fishing guides and outfitters. We also insure a lot of auto insurance written on a commercial basis for the guides, as most personal auto policies exclude business activities in the coverage of a personal auto policy.
- You’re based in Bozeman; how to you feel that influences the fishing side of your business?
- The Bozeman area is recognized as some of the finest fly fishing area’s in the nation. With its close proximity to the Yellowstone, Gallatin, Madison and Jefferson rivers, thousands of people come here each year to fish. Because of this, there are a ton of guides, outfitters and fly shops in the area. This enables us to keep in touch with the changes in the industry pertaining to the needs of our clients.
- How has a partnership with AFFTA benefitted the Bissell Agency?
- The partnership has been very beneficial as it has allowed our agency to promote the products we have been using in Montana since 1991 on a national basis. Since the partnership with AFFTA has begun, it has literally doubled the amount of business we do with the fishing industry. Finally, by having this large book of business it allows our office to negotiate more competitive rates with the insurance industry.
- What’s one thing you wish AFFTA members knew about what you do?
- Several items that make our products unique. For one, the liability coverage premium we use for the guides is a flat rate. Most insurance carriers charge a higher premium as your gross receipts increase. With over 35 years experience, we understand the industry and take time to analyze your needs. We have written a lot of business in the past where the previous carrier had not provided the necessary coverage to keep the business running should a loss occur. Finally our carriers are very competitive in price. In most cases on the quotes we do, we have been averaging over 20% less in premium than the competition.
- When you’re not in the office, what are you most likely to be found doing?
- I really enjoy the outdoors. When I am not hiking, bow hunting or downhill skiing with my family I am usually in the gym working out or practicing Brazilian Jiujitsu. I was the 1994 and 1995 Montana state powerlifting champion in the 180lb class. I am a certified ski instructor and have competed in kick boxing.